How fleet tracking can save your business time and money

Every business is looking to improve their sustainability and profitability in an ever more competitive marketplace, and vehicle tracking solutions have been proven to do just that.

For companies with a commercial fleet, the correct implementation and maintenance of a telematics system can save any fleet time and money. Here are some ways in which fleet managers can use such systems to bring about real change in the way their fleet operates.

Driving behaviour is key

Any fleet manager will know that reckless drivers cost a business more than smooth and calm drivers when out on the road. Not only do these drivers cost a company more in fuel costs but also in vehicle maintenance and insurance. What some fleet managers may not know is that through systems such as in-cab coaching, driving can be improved without the need for substantial investment and managerial involvement.

In-cab coaching system is a small and unobtrusive dashboard-mounted device that alerts the driver to any reckless actions behind the wheel such as severe acceleration, braking and cornering. The combination of visual and audio feedback allows drivers to self-correct bad driving habits, ultimately making their journeys safer for themselves along with other road users. Having this system paired with a telematics device enables fleet managers to examine the data from individual drivers and tailor any training to improve specific aspects of each driver’s performance on the road. For those drivers who do not require training, the data allows managers to identify those who should be rewarded for their approach to work. A study by Masternaut has found that not only was safety improved through the implementation of in-cab feedback, but fuel costs and carbon emissions were also reduced.

Andrew Page, a 900 vehicles strong fleet running the UK’s leading automotive parts, tools and workshop equipment distributor, applied Masternaut’s solutions and the impact was clear to see. Incidents of speeding fell by 97% in six months, and now 98% of all Andrew Page drivers are rated as green for driver safety with the other 2% rated as amber. With continually falling road accidents Andrew Page vehicles now pose a much lesser risk to all road users having taken on board the in-cab systems. The improved driver behaviour has also resulted in improved fuel efficiency with average vehicle miles per gallon rating increasing from 48 to 52.5 MPG. As such the company has seen a significant saving on fuel costs.

Make manual tasks automated

Filling out mileage claims manually, working out how long workers have spent on site, processing driver timesheets, these all take valuable time to complete. As the saying goes ‘time is money’, thus using a telematics system to automate this process can be a tremendous help. Not only will savings be made on the amount of paper used but an improved accuracy in documenting data highlight key benefits to automating this area of fleet management.

One such company that has done this is Premier Waste who employed Masternaut’s telematics solutions to successfully remove a significant portion of paper-based manual documentation. They are also using fleet data to immediately invoice their large customer base as one of the UK’s leading independent waste management companies.

Reducing speed and measuring fuel economy

Two key areas that contribute to excessive fuel consumption are speeding and vehicle idling, but through detailed analysis of telematics data, GRAHAM Construction reduced fuel costs by 11% in just four months. 6% of this saving came through limiting the idling time, where the engine is running, but the vehicle is not moving. One way in which this can be achieved is through more efficient route planning which takes into historical account data to avoid traffic hotspots and therefore reduce the time vehicles spend idling in traffic. Following in-cab coaching, GRAHAM believes the other 5% reduction in fuel cost has come from improved driving technique and data-driven training plans.

The company has also shifted to a digital report system which replaced the previously manual process of recording mileage and shift times. This has provided a more efficient and reliable reporting system and reduced expenses and admin time.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

33 + = thirty five